The Cloud Native Developer and Security Operations Company.
About the role
We are looking for a Software Engineering Manager to join our Professional Services team. We are a small and nimble team, working on multiple projects in the Software, DevOps and Data space. Our clients rely on our technical expertise and ability to deliver value.
Our Software Engineering team builds software solutions across a multitude of domains, ensuring that each project is done with scalability, maintainability, performance, security and operational excellence in mind.
As the Software Engineering Manager, you have a key role to play in forming and establishing efficient practices closely aligned with our culture. Open and honest communication, collaboration, mutual respect, resilience and a strive for excellence are key components of our DNA. As the Software Engineering Manager, you will also guide and grow your team through the complexities of serving multiple clients at the same time while remaining up to date-with the latest best practices.
What you will be doing:
1. Strategic leadership and direction
- Chair meetings and guide technical discussions with clients.
- Help build technical roadmaps for clients and provide feedback to the Director of SE and Project Managers on project status.
- Assist Project Managers with the coordination of project timelines and team resource scheduling.
- Work across the Engineering department to ensure engineering best practices are followed and that process improvement are made.
- Work closely with the Director of SE to ensure we have the right team structures in place to enable effective delivery.
- Design, implement and document robust, scalable, maintainable, high-performing and operationally excellent software solutions.
2. Team Management
- Hire and retain an exceptional software engineering team that lives the Deimos culture and has the capabilities required to deliver on projects.
- Manage team performance by having continuous quality conversations and formulating personal development and growth paths.
- Ensure clarity on priorities and goals for team members.
- Hold regular 1:1s with team members.
- Focus on enabling a psychologically safe team environment where all remote team members feel included and connected.
- Be a positive leader and mentor ensuring team members acquire necessary skills (technical and non-technical), in line with business and personal development needs.
- Frequently perform code and architecture reviews to gain an understanding of quality and direction.
- Hold team members accountable for submitting accurate timesheets on time.
What you must have:
- 5+ years of experience leading and managing high-performance teams.
- Excellent project management skills and well-versed with agile work practices, and other collaborative methods.
- Proficiency in server-side languages such as NodeJS, PHP, and .Net Core (Must Have).
- Familiarity with database technologies such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, and MongoDB.
- Knowledge and experience with cloud-based technologies such as AWS, Microsoft Azure, and Google Cloud.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills.
- Consistently keep up to date with Software Engineering best practices, trends, and innovation.
- Proven ability to lead with humility and learn from team members.
- Strong understanding of technology and how to apply it to solve business problems.
- Familiar and comfortable working as a remote Manager.
For us to achieve our ambitious vision together as a team, It is important for our Martians to lead at all levels, be self-starters who take initiative and put their hands up for challenging tasks. A growth mindset is important to us and we encourage all our Martians to openly share knowledge, support and help each other, ask questions, get creative with new technologies and learn from setbacks.
Becoming a Martian means:
- Comfortably working and learning from a fully remote, culturally diverse team based predominantly in South Africa and Nigeria.
- Being an open, honest and respectful communicator.
- You enjoy asking questions, identifying areas of improvement and proposing solutions, no matter your job title or whether you have been with us for a day, a month or years!
- You are comfortable taking initiative and operating independently.
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment, where change is constant.
- You find it exciting to work with various clients, from different industries, each with a different problem for you and your team to solve.
- Intentionally sharing tech and industry trends that excite you with your peers.
- Seeking continuous feedback and actively taking steps to continuously grow personally and professionally.
Want to know what you get by joining us?
- Become a member of a team where we value each individual’s contribution from day 1 and empower you to make suggestions, get involved and do what you love most!
- Flexibility and the freedom to work from anywhere you choose and feel you thrive best.
- Work-life balance where you are not expected to work over weekends or after hours.
- A forward-thinking remote company that knows how important it is to stay connected as one team, by providing social platforms for employee engagement, virtually or in person.
- A monthly work-from-home allowance which you can use to set yourself up to work comfortably from home. Whether that is pens, notebooks, new headphones or work snacks!
- A MacBook or Windows laptop for you to do your best work on.
- Become part of a team of exceptionally clever and talented people who like to share their knowledge and learnings.
- We support your career growth and love setting you up for the future! We want you to succeed and will continue to support you, even after you leave.
Deimos is a Cloud-native Developer and Security Operations technology services company. We help companies of all sizes adopt the Cloud for improved service delivery to their clients. We’re a fully remote African-based team of predominantly Software and SRE / DevOps engineers who are passionate about implementing engineering best practices, leveraging the latest technologies and building globally competitive solutions for our clients. With Deimos being one of the two moons of Mars, we like to refer to ourselves as “Martians”, who are on a mission together to Mars.
We are looking for a Cloud-Native Support Engineering Manager to join our growing team. We are a small and nimble team responsible for supporting multiple critical, client-facing systems. The support we provide is both application and infrastructure-level support. Our clients rely on our technical expertise, diagnostic and problem-solving skills to ensure their businesses are always online and available. You must be based in one of these countries Nigeria, South Africa, Ghana, Kenya, or Rwanda.
Are you looking to sharpen your Software Development skills to stay relevant in the market? CLICK HERE to have a look at the top schools.
For all your IT certification needs, please, click here for information on how to get started