Secure enterprise open source for the world.
About the job
The Software Engineer – Ubuntu Build Infrastructure will drive the future of collaborative open-source development tooling as part of the Launchpad team. This is an opportunity for a motivated engineer with a passion for open-source software, Linux, and web services to join our distributed team.
Launchpad is a platform for managing open-source development projects. It includes code hosting and review, bug tracking, package building, translations, and other facilities used by free and open-source software developers. It provides essential development and collaboration infrastructure for major projects such as Ubuntu.
Launchpad is a mature project, mainly written in Python (primarily Zope, with some Flask). You’ll be striking a balance between keeping our business-critical services running and expanding our feature set: among other things, we are currently working on expanding our package-building capabilities, improving the development flows provided to our users, and modernising our web UI. If you love keeping large projects well-organised and well-maintained, care about supporting developers, and believe that continuous improvement is the key to innovation, higher velocity, and reliability, you’ll fit right in.
Build a rewarding, meaningful career working with the best and brightest people in technology at Canonical, a growing international software company.
What You’ll Do
As the Software Engineer – Ubuntu Build Infrastructure, your responsibilities include:
- Proactively collaborate within and contribute to design, architecture, and feature selection for solutions across distributed teams
- Write high-quality, API-first Python code with unit tests
- Debug issues and produce high-quality fixes
- Review code produced by other engineers
- Work from home with global travel 2 to 4 times a year for internal and external events
Who You Are
The role of Software Engineer – Ubuntu Build Infrastructure has the following requirements:
- You love technology, working with brilliant people, and solving interesting problems
- You are a strategic thinker
- You are curious, flexible, articulate, and accountable
- You value soft skills and are passionate, enterprising, thoughtful, and self-motivated
- You have a Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or a similar degree
- You have proficiency in delivering robust code to production, preferably written in Python.
- You have experience and enjoy maintaining and improving large and mature web applications.
- You have experience with databases, ORMs (PostgreSQL a plus), data management, and data modelling.
- You have an interest in, or experience with, integration, infrastructure and operations.
- You believe that robust security requires conscious efforts at every stage of delivery.
- You have familiarity with Ubuntu as a development and deployment platform.
- You have a solid understanding of the structure of various software packaging systems, including Debian/Ubuntu packages.
Canonical is proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We truly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better platform for our users and customers. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of the world of Ubuntu.
Are you looking to sharpen your Software Development skills to stay relevant in the market? CLICK HERE to have a look at the top schools.
For all your IT certification needs, please, click here for information on how to get started