Technology solutions for development organizations. Builders of Ona Data, Canopy, and OpenSRP.
Who we are
At Ona, we don’t just strive for diversity, we thrive on it. For Ona, diversity has been a spring board for creativity, innovation, and growth. We are committed to giving equal opportunities to employees and applicants regardless of their race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, colour, nationality, age, marital status, or pregnancy status.
We’re looking for developers who want to build foundational data systems that drive change. Our team has worked on projects that record the social infrastructure of entire countries, tally the winners of national elections, and reduce infant mortality. We build software that solves real problems and you will too.
Software Engineer – Data Solutions – Qualities we’re looking for
- You understand the importance of abstractions and interfaces. You keep modules loosely coupled and know that algorithms + data structures = programs.
- You read and understand existing systems before diving in. You know how to prototype, how to iterate, and when to step back and think it through or ask questions.
- You are committed to the projects you work on and need to see them through to completion. You understand that solving the user’s problem is the end goal.
- You stay up to date with the latest trends and are excited to learn new languages, tools, and best practices.
- You thrive in teams and projects that span time zones and cultures.
- You’re ready and excited to travel in order to support projects, no matter how dusty or remote.
Software Engineer – Data Solutions – Key responsibilities
- Design, architect, build large scale data collection and visualization systems.
- Coordinate and balance priorities of multiple projects and deliverables.
- Analyze and organize raw data.
- Build data systems and pipelines.
- Combine raw information from different sources.
- Explore ways to enhance data quality and reliability.
- Identify opportunities for data acquisition.
- Develop analytical tools and programs.
- Collaborate with data scientists and architects on several projects.
- Hands-on experience with databases such as PostgreSQL.
- Hands-on experience with the linux command line.
- Experience programming with APIs and service based architectures.
- Strong attention to detail and understanding of architectural dependencies.
- Strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills.
- Previous experience as a data engineer or in a similar role.
- Experience with PostgreSQL, SQLite, other relational, k/v, column-oriented, or log-based databases.
- Experience with Ansible, Terraform, AWS, Alibaba Cloud, other IaaS and infrastructure as code systems.
- Experience with Django, React, Redux, PostgreSQL, Superset, NiFi, or Kafka
- Experience working with remote teams.
Looking to sharpen your Software Development skills to stay relevant in the market? CLICK HERE to have a look at the top schools.
For all your IT certification needs, please, click here for more information