We provide simple, affordable health & life insurance to emerging market consumers. Our mission is to free people from the fear of financial shocks.
About the role
The Software Engineer will play a critical role in building our technology as we strive to improve internal processes and better serve our customers and partners. The role sits within our “Service Center” team, supporting the operations and growth of multiple country offices and internal teams.
Qualifications in computer science, software engineering, or another related field are required. You will also need at least 3 to 5 years of software engineering or software development experience, preferably in a related field to be successful in this role.
This role would suit a mid-level software engineer looking to create unique solutions that will transform how emerging customers consume insurance. You will succeed in this role if you can adapt to requirement changes easily and work effectively on multiple projects simultaneously.
Key Roles & Responsibilities:
- Design, develop, document, and implement solutions to users’ needs and requirements
- Maintain and manage existing source code and systems
- Develop unit and integration tests
- Proactively search for and fix bugs
- Design and develop logical and physical data models that meet application requirements
- Deploying software tools, processes, and metrics
- Providing technical support to the rest of the team
- Training users on the use of systems
- Creating technical documentation for internal and external use
- Investigating and using new technologies where relevant
Key Qualifications & Your Profile:
- Live Turaco’s values – care and protect our customers, do the right thing, and have fun!
- Bachelor/Undergraduate degree in Computer Science/ Software Engineering or related study areas with excellent grades.
- 3+ years of professional experience working with the stacks described. Start-up experience is a plus.
- Hands-on programming experience developing in Java (Spring Boot).
- Experience with SQL and front-end development with React js is a plus.
- Knowledge of algorithms and data structures.
- Strong communication skills, especially in communicating paths to solve problems.
- Ability to innovate and think creatively and strategically about how to use solve problems through programming.
- Excellent team-player.
- Ability to navigate ambiguity, juggle multiple tasks, think independently, and demonstrate sound judgment, and problem-solving.