We’re on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more.
Job Background – Microsoft careers
The Microsoft Search and Intelligence team is responsible for enabling intelligence in Microsoft products like Outlook, Bing, Windows, and Cortana. We research & develop natural language processing & machine learning infrastructure to process billions of emails and documents a day. All this is done by extracting key inferences & knowledge, serving several powerful intelligent experiences to billions of users guiding them and their organizations make smart decisions.
Where you fit in
You would be part of a team working to modernize the way users discover, navigate and search across their organization’s Office365 corpus and help make them more productive. We strive to break down the barriers of traditional search. Instead we look to offer the most relevant and contextual based suggestions to help users discover the content they are looking for. This spans their Contacts, Emails, Documents and their organization’s data. We work very closely with the Office 365 team to guarantee user privacy and compliance while also offering users a robust set of experiences that help them find what they are looking for.
What we are looking for
We are looking for highly motivated, and innovative software engineers. They need to be passionate about building distributed systems to deploy and serve machine learning, classification, and language translation-based end to end solutions.
Responsibilities – Microsoft careers
- As a lead, you will be expected to coach, care and mentor a small team of engineers and or scientists working on tough problems with you. In addition to managing and growing the capabilities of team, your responsibilities will also include technical leadership. The expectation is that you will contribute to feature designs and long-term technology roadmaps. You will be responsible for ensuring that the work your team delivers is high-quality and developed in a way that aligns with architecture of the underlying platform.
- You will work with a team of applied scientists and developers who are responsible for all stages of the research & development cycle. This includes early ideation, design, implementation and scaling it internationally. You will be expected to work on many levels – from high level vision, to design and implementations of both self-contained components and large, team-oriented code bases. Your coding skills will be challenged writing scalable, distributed, and highly efficient components. You will also be responsible for monitoring live site to ensure rock-solid availability.
- Your responsibilities will include shipping large-scale backend services that host complex models and algorithms to process critical user data. You will also be involved in developing offline processes to monitor, extract, index and build ML & NLP models. Collaborating with other engineers to build demos and apps to showcase these services is one of the ways in which you will be able to contribute new ideas. The development process is driven by gathering implicit signals from real users through online experimentation to learn and iterate on the next improvements in the product.
- Such Microsoft careers also allow you the opportunity to participate in frequent hackathons. These allow you to work with many different teams around the world. The goal is to pursue high impact work to quickly deliver on critical areas that our users value, by delivering high quality features in a highly collaborative team environment.
- You should have strong software design and development background with C#, C++ or Java (or similar languages like Python) with at least 5 years of experience.
- A BSc degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science (or related fields like Electronic Engineering, Physics or Mathematics) is required. An MSc or PhD is not required, but a passion for continuously learning new skills and techniques is. As a lead, the expectation is that you will help your team learn and grow.
- Additionally, proven experience in managing a team of engineers is desirable, however, passion for growing and nurturing a team of engineers will be even more important to allow you to succeed in this role. The lead role will still be technical, and your team will expect you to provide solid technical leadership and oversight.
- The candidate must have strong programming and algorithm design skills and real passion for data driven decision-making.
- Proven experience working on large scale web services would help you get started, while experience or interest in natural language processing, machine learning, deep learning, or data mining area a big bonus.
- The candidate also need strong verbal and written communication skills with excellent interpersonal communication and collaboration skills.
Microsoft careers are offered by an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work
Benefits and Perks
- Industry leading healthcare
- Savings and investments
- Giving programs
- Educational resources
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Opportunities to network and connect
- Discounts on products and services
- Generous time away
Applying for Microsoft Careers requires lots of preparation. If you would like to look at some insights from the employer, click here