We're the nonprofit that hosts @Wikipedia , working to create a world where every human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. Join the movement.
The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a Senior software engineer – Structured Data team, reporting to product engineering management. As the Senior software engineer – Structured data, you will be responsible for software engineering for our product user experiences. In this role, you will work in a mostly-remote environment, where we value teamwork and a consensus-oriented approach. You get to write open source code for collaborative experiences supporting over a billion users, and you get to do it at a place that believes we’re all more successful when everyone has a good work-life balance.
You are responsible for:
- Improving the Wikipedia product experience
- Iterating on new products and features through collaboration with designers and product managers
- Creating and maintaining internet APIs with server scripting languages
- Instrumenting components to monitor feature and quality characteristics
- Leveraging caching and persistence technologies
Skills and Experience:
- 5+ years related professional experience in functional programming or OOP
- Experience building user-friendly features and software components with good performance
- Focused software engineering: you enjoy writing unit and integration tests, proactively addressing security and code review feedback, and thoughtfully balancing architectural tradeoffs
Qualities that are important to us:
- A desire to make meaningful contributions to knowledge equity, free culture, and open access
- An emphasis on communicating clearly in both synchronous and asynchronous channels
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Fluency in one or more regional languages in Africa, Asia, or Latin America
- Experience developing for markets in Africa, Asia, or Latin America
- Practical skills with Vue.js or React
- Project work in data science, machine learning, AI (especially on natural language)
- A history of open source contribution
- Bachelor’s, master’s, or doctorate degree in computer science, management information systems, or STEM field (or equivalent certification)
Looking to sharpen your Software Engineering skills to stay relevant in the market? CLICK HERE to have a look at the top schools.
For all your IT certification needs, please, click here for more information