Gro illuminates the interrelationships between our earth’s ecology and human economy.
What You’ll Do
Below are just some of the challenges and problems we are trying to solve here at Gro. As the Senior Software Engineer, if you can help us with one or more we would love to speak with you – particularly if you’re eager to see your work have a bigger impact on the world
- Scale our data ingestion and indexing pipelines, to handle orders of magnitude more data (e.g. rasterized/pixel data vs region-encoded data)
- Decompose serving monoliths into a microservices/service-oriented architecture
- Obsess query performance and data schemas to enable efficiency and speed at an ever-growing scale
- Rethink and revamp our CI/CD process to find the sweet spot between nimbleness and stability
Who You Are
- Someone who is passionate about building, tuning, and scaling systems
- Adept at, and motivated by, the concept of trying to automate yourself out of a job
- A great team player; is someone with a point of view who knows how to humbly express it
- Open-minded about languages/tools/frameworks, and able to make good decisions about which to use (and when) to solve a particular problem
For the position of Senior Software Engineer, the following qualifications are required:
- Deep understanding of computer engineering fundamentals (at least one of kernels/operating systems, networking, distributed systems, structured storage systems, relational databases, cloud computing)
- Experience with enterprise cloud infrastructure and services (we use AWS)
- Proficient in Python, or a strong willingness to learn it and use it
- Proficiency with a systems programming language (e.g. C/C++, Rust, Java, etc.)
- BS in Computer Science, a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience
- 4+ years of relevant industry experience
Nice to have
- Familiarity with Postgres, Docker, Kubernetes, CircleCI
- Experience with, or a passion for, the Rust programming language
- Experience in technical leadership, leading project teams, and setting technical direction
We are focused on hiring a small army of systems engineering folks with a variety of backgrounds and skills to tackle huge infrastructure challenges. We need both generalists and specialists – so if you’re reading this and think you can make an impact as an engineer specializing in any of the areas mentioned, or even hinted at, above then please apply and let us know!
For this Nairobi-based position, we are willing and able to sponsor Kenyan work permits
Gro was founded in 2014 and currently has offices in Nairobi, New York, and Singapore. The company was built on diversity and the knowledge that artificial intelligence is only as good as the human intelligence behind it. Gro’s team represents the world it is modelling. At the company, we speak more than 27 languages and we comprise a wide range of experts, from agronomists and crop scientists to mathematicians, engineers, data scientists, market research analysts, designers, historians, and philosophers. Our culture fosters collaboration between people of extremely different backgrounds that allows us to accomplish things that would otherwise seem impossible.
Gro Intelligence is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Are you looking to sharpen your Software Development skills to stay relevant in the market? CLICK HERE to have a look at the top schools.
For all your IT certification needs, please, click here for information on how to get started