We are the nonprofit that hosts @Wikipedia , working to create a world where every human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. Join the movement.
The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a Senior Site Reliability Engineer to join our team, reporting to the Engineering Manager of Cloud Services. Cloud Services curates environments that host tools and services utilized across Wikimedia projects. A significant portion of edit traffic on Wikipedia for example, is done by community-developed tools we host!
Our team maintains Infrastructure as a Service, Platform as a Service, and Data as a Service product. The team works in partnership (our puppet repo is public! And yes, you can contribute to it!) with the larger Wikimedia volunteer community to manage these environments. Candidates should be comfortable communicating in public and asynchronous ways with volunteers and developers from around the world.
As the Senior Site Reliability Engineer, you’ll work remotely with a full-time distributed team, with members spread between Europe and North America, and need to overlap (UTC-5 to UTC+1) working hours. Some examples of the type of work you’ll be doing include:
- Expanding the capabilities of our tool forge platform
- Expanding and refining our storage offerings, backed by Ceph and NFS
- Scaling our team via automation
- Providing a curated Jupyter Notebook environment for data analysis and queries of Wikimedia data
- Upgrading, customizing, and adding new services like terraform support, and Database as a service to OpenStack
- Developing new web services for our technical community, like Quarry and PAWS
And the backlog has even more details!
You are responsible for:
- Helping to create a repeatable OpenStack cloud deployment
- Implementing a network topology using Open vSwitch, providing per-tenant networking, load balancing, and IPv6
- Performing day-to-day operational tasks on Wikimedia’s Cloud Services infrastructure (deployment, maintenance, configuration, troubleshooting). Develop and support automation tools and processes in support of these tasks.
- Participating in on-call rotation and support in a 24×7 environment
Skills and Experience:
- Comfortable working and thriving within a Linux ecosystem
- Understand networking in the physical domain of switches and servers
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or related field or equivalent in related work experience.
Qualities that are important to us:
- Share our values, appreciate our code of conduct, support our team norms, and work by all three
- Strong English language skills and ability to work independently, as an effective part of a globally distributed team
- Support of our users (volunteer and staff developers) using our service offerings
- Passionate about the value of learning and growing together
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Utilized configuration management tools such as Puppet, Ansible, Chef, and SaltStack
- Used Kubernetes, Docker Swarm, Mesos, or similar container orchestration platforms
- Operated an elastic computing environment such as OpenStack or Cloudstack
- Operated a multi-tenant capable software-defined network (SDN)
- Experience in serverless computing environments
- Linux systems troubleshooting and debugging skills
- Interest in open-source software projects and communities
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that operates Wikipedia and other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge freely. We host Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive.
Are you looking to sharpen your Software Development skills to stay relevant in the market? CLICK HERE to have a look at the top schools.
For all your IT certification needs, please, click here for information on how to get started