The Cloud Native Developer and Security Operations Company.
We are looking for a Senior PHP Software Engineer to join our Professional Services team. We are a small and nimble team, working on multiple projects in the Software, DevOps and Security space. Our clients rely on our technical expertise and ability to deliver value. You will be focusing on building back-end API in PHP, but it would be great if you are familiar with or looking to gain exposure to React and Typescript, our teams use these on the front end. Our engineers are comfortable with context switching and enjoy working with various clients who have different problems to solve which exposes them to varying technologies. If this sounds like you then you would be an ideal fit for our environment.
As part of the Software Engineering team, you will build software solutions across a multitude of domains, ensuring that each project is done with scalability, maintainability, performance, security and operational excellence in mind. You will also assist in debugging and troubleshooting applications when issues arise in a timely fashion. And continuously innovate: Search for a better solution. Then top it!
You will report to a Software Engineering Manager who is on a mission to deliver high-value projects built to world-class engineering standards. You must be based in one of these countries Nigeria, South Africa, Ghana, Kenya, or Rwanda.
What you will be doing:
- Pick up and solve more complex software development tasks.
- Contribute to the continuous integration and delivery of applications.
- Write clean and optimised code for primarily backend applications.
- Work with SQL and non-relational database management systems.
- Demonstrate a strong ability to Interact or consume APIs and help design new API services.
- Participate in code reviews while supporting and guiding the team to deliver quality code.
- Contribute to client meetings and deliver the best service and technology solutions.
- Log timesheets on the Forecast.app for the billing of clients.
- Consistently write high-quality production-ready code that is easily testable, reusable, easily understood by other developers, and accounts for edge cases and errors.
- Contribute to documentation, functional specifications, and design documents when required using the best engineering practices and leveraging the latest technology.
- Lead the implementation and maintenance of quality code practices including but not limited to practising test-driven development by writing unit tests, and functional or UI tests.
What you must have:
- Excellent knowledge of PHP, specifically PHP 7 & 8.
- Strong knowledge of one or both more top PHP frameworks e.g. Laravel, Symfony etc.
- Extensive knowledge of either Apache or Nginx.
- Strong understanding of REST API design concepts & implementation in PHP.
- Good understanding of object-oriented programming and associated concepts.
- Familiarity with relational databases such as PostgreSQL, MySQL, SQL Server etc.
- Basic understanding of potential security threats (e.g. SQL injection, XSS) along with mitigation approaches.
- Knowledge of cloud-native architecture.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Good problem-solving and debugging skills.
- A willingness to always improve
For us to achieve our ambitious vision together as a team, It is important for our Martians to lead at all levels, be self-starters who take initiative and put their hands up for challenging tasks. A growth mindset is important to us and we encourage all our Martians to openly share knowledge, support and help each other, ask questions, get creative with new technologies and learn from setbacks.
Becoming a Martian means:
- Comfortably working and learning from a fully remote, culturally diverse team based predominantly in South Africa and Nigeria.
- Being an open, honest and respectful communicator.
- You enjoy asking questions, identifying areas of improvement and proposing solutions, no matter your job title or whether you have been with us for a day, a month or years!
- You are comfortable taking initiative and operating independently.
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment, where change is constant.
- You find it exciting to work with various clients, from different industries, each with a different problem for you and your team to solve.
- Intentionally sharing tech and industry trends that excite you with your peers.
- Seeking continuous feedback and actively taking steps to continuously grow personally and professionally.
Want to know what you get by joining us?
- Become a member of a team where we value each individual’s contribution from day 1 and empower you to make suggestions, get involved and do what you love most!
- Flexibility and the freedom to work from anywhere you choose and feel you thrive best.
- Work-life balance where you are not expected to work over weekends or after hours.
- A forward-thinking remote company that knows how important it is to stay connected as one team, by providing social platforms for employee engagement, virtually or in person.
- A monthly work-from-home allowance which you can use to set yourself up to work comfortably from home. Whether that is pens, notebooks, new headphones or work snacks!
- A MacBook or Windows laptop for you to do your best work on.
- Become part of a team of exceptionally clever and talented people who like to share their knowledge and learnings.
- We support your career growth and love setting you up for the future! We want you to succeed and will continue to support you, even after you leave.
Are you looking to sharpen your Software Development skills to stay relevant in the market? CLICK HERE to have a look at the top schools.
For all your IT certification needs, please, click here for information on how to get started