International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies
Reporting to the Manager, Information Technology and Digital Transformation Services and Support, Africa. The Senior Officer – Information Technology and Digitalization is a member of the Regional IT team.
The Senior Information Technology Officer is the Regional Office focal person for all day-to-day IT operational matters and works closely with the global IT service centre in Budapest. This includes ensuring the optimal functioning of the IT infrastructure and the availability of all relevant IT services.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Monitor network infrastructure to ensure proper network functionality and availability to all system users and take the lead in proposing areas of improvement. Manage user mail accounts and other online user application systems ensuring that they are set up and working properly.
- Provide support in the implementation /rollout of global IT systems projects in the region taking into account cost, scope and timelines.
- Provide technical support in IT procurements in the region ensuring the organization gets value for money on all IT investments. Maintain and manage inventory of IT & telecommunications equipment, according to IFRC standards, to meet the usual and surge response requirements
- Establish an efficient business continuity plan by ensuring the effective functioning of IT & telecommunications equipment and carrying out efficient preventive maintenance (this may include installation, maintenance and repair of telecommunications and computer equipment).
- Supervise and carry out Installation, maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair of cabled, wireless and other network infrastructure services.
- Set up and organize training of staff on office telephone systems and other modes of audio/video communication.
- Operate an IT helpdesk by rendering prompt, professional and friendly assistance to users who report different ICT incidences and problems.
- Tracking and updating IT inventory, completing the IT item damage report, and managing the handover of IT assets in conjunction with the IFRC staff Policy and procedures.
- Install new software releases, and system upgrades, evaluate and install patches and resolve software-related problems according to Federation standards.
Building Partnerships and coordinating IT projects
- Strengthen the relationships with operations and services staff in the region to represent business needs, and identify needs and technology gaps.
- Support operations and services staff on the opportunities, security and requirements of IT systems to safeguard organizational data.
- Monitor project plans and developments across IFRC to inform and advise other departments on the best and most efficient use of IT systems and resources.
- Strengthen the working relations with external Service providers, other stakeholders and the Administration department to ensure to the extent possible, uninterrupted power supply to the computer architecture at the region and to ensure uninterrupted internet connectivity.
- Provide seamless IT support to the other county cluster and country offices to improve service delivery.
- Monitor and ensure that all IT-related Service Level Agreements (SLAs) with suppliers are met to help ensure the organization gets value for money.
- Provide technical support on various IT projects as may be assigned.
Mobile Telecoms and Security Access
- Develop a system for proper maintenance of all office IT equipment including photocopier and office IT consumables and supervise external stakeholders in cases where services are outsourced.
- Coordinate the management of telephone services with the service providers including direct lines and mobile handsets monitoring monthly costs.
- Manage the office access system ensuring timely provision of the access cards and security access codes and advice on any reviews as and when necessary.
- Develop a plan to manage telephone bill costs for both in-country and roaming services with the intention of reducing the overall cost.
- Facilitate staff training to improve on the communication processes, and manage communication costs and IT-related consumables costs.
- Track new technology developments among staff and within the Region and IT sector; maintain personally an up-to-date professional understanding at the policy and strategic level, of the substantive content of the specific activities covered by the department.
- In close collaboration with the Manager, of Information Technology and Digital Transformation Services and Support, the Africa Information Systems Manager, analyzes the existing skills, identifies further skill requirements and provides the necessary support, development and training for the secretariat and the NSs in the region.
- Carry out continuous market information systems reviews and technology trends with the intention of recommending the latest technologies and areas of improvement to management.
Emergency Preparedness and Response
- Develop and maintain a network of IT and Telecoms resources for disaster response/preparedness activities of the Federation, and to assist in National Society capacity building.
- Be part of the team within the Region for IT and telecom emergency preparedness and response.
- Recognized professional qualification in the area of engineering, telecommunications, electronics, computer science or equivalent technology work. Required.
- University degree, in Engineering, computer sciences discipline. Required.
The Senior Officer – Information Technology and Digitalization role has the following requirements:
- 5 years minimum of work in computer systems (LAN, WAN TCP/IP connectivity, E-mail, application and user support domains). Required.
- 5 years minimum of work in radio communication technologies (VHF, HF) and satellites (VSAT). Preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years work experience with the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement or with other international organizations, large NGOs and/or governmental development agencies. Preferred
- Experience in project management within Information Technology. Required.
- Experience in providing training and facilitating workshops. Required.
- Proven people management skills; management of a team with a minimum of 1 staff member. Required.
- Experience working in a change management situation, preferably as an active participant in that change. Required.
Knowledge, Skills and Languages
- Ability to lead and manage in a diverse cultural context. Required.
- Strong knowledge of information-sharing tools, and the ability to implement them. Required.
- Highly organized, with the ability to create a unified team approach. Required.
- Strong negotiation, collaboration and influencing skills. Required.
- Service-minded, ability to lead, delegate and manage from a distance. Required.
- Expertise with systems and applications such as Network components, e-mail systems, Client/Server systems, ISPs & IP connectivity, applications, and hardware (Current are predominately Microsoft, HP, Dell and Cisco based). Required.
- Excellent skills in wireless technologies, including HF and VHF radio. Required.
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills, including the ability to lead within a matrix management structure and utilize the talent and experience of team members in a productive way. Required.
- Demonstrated track record in innovating, contributing to a learning culture, and sharing knowledge and new approaches to engaging partners. Required.
- Professional credibility, able to work effectively at all levels across the organization. Required.
- Proven good judgment and ability to work with complete integrity and confidentiality, acting as a model of the highest integrity in a personal capacity and at the team level. Required.
- High degree of discretion, tact and sensitivity in dealing with internal and external clients and stakeholders at all levels. Required.
- Ability to work within a multi-cultural, multilingual, multidisciplinary environment. Required.
- Budget and finance management. Preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills. Required.
- Fluently spoken and written English. Required.
- Good command of another IFRC official language (French, Spanish, Arabic or Russian). Preferred.
Are you looking to sharpen your Software Development skills to stay relevant in the market? CLICK HERE to have a look at the top schools.
For all your IT certification needs, please, click here for information on how to get started