International Rescue Committe
We respond to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and help people to survive, recover, and gain control of their future. Join us #StandWithRefugees.
Quality Assurance Analyst – Job Description
To ensure that we are effectively carrying out our mission, we have committed to implement outcome-driven and evidence-based programs, measure what we achieve, act on what we learn, and generate new and relevant evidence. We need to produce high-quality data that can inform decision-making while also meeting donor requirements. The Measurement Unit is responsible for global guidance, resources and coordination to ensure that staff across all our programs are equipped with the skills and tools they need to generate and manage the right data for programmatic decision-making across the IRC. IRC’s M&E efforts rely heavily on technology platforms, and IRC’s Measurement Strategic Plan calls for further investment in and commitment to technology for M&E. Over the coming 2-3 years, the Measurement Technology Team (which sits at the intersection of the Measurement Unit and IT) will design, deliver and support a more comprehensive technology stack for M&E, ensuring Crisis Response, Recovery and Development (CRRD) program, technical and M&E staff have access to more comprehensive technology platforms to improve program delivery.
Focused on Measurement technology support, the Quality Assurance Analyst is a member of the team responsible for developing, testing, implementing, and supporting IRC’s global technology tools and platforms for the organization. This includes CommCare, Microsoft Power BI and Microsoft SQL server Azure based data warehouse.
Working in partnership with staff at various levels and locations, the QA Analyst will perform a key role in testing, quality assuring, and improving technology products prior to successful rollout. He or she should be solution oriented and keeps responsive application design at the center of his/her testing approach, must understand all disciplines involved in developing user-centric and impactful applications.
Position key attributes are multi-tasking, detail-orientation, fast-learning, and self-organizing. The candidate is required to not only test the technology products, but also to identify, create, and implement complex use case scenarios; take a lead in efforts to find requirement/specification gaps, and work very closely with business teams / analysts to seek answers. Find a balance between keeping high quality standards without overly exerting on release deadlines. Build a good working relationship between development and product management teams. Be able to turn around testing and regression testing within tight deadlines without compromising on quality.
Quality Assurance Analyst – Major Responsibilities:
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Translate functional requirements and specifications into detailed test plans, encompassing functional, system, integration, performance, regression, and user acceptance testing. S/he will be responsible for implementing Agile Software Testing Lifecycle.
• Work with the project management team closely to ensure that testing processes are implemented and followed by all core team members.
• Testing and ensuring quality of applications and dashboards developed in CommCare / Microsoft PowerApps to ensure they meet user needs.
• Perform workflow and functional testing of PowerBI dashboards to ensure quality of user experience and data visualized.
• Test solutions to integrate CommCare/Power Apps/Excel data sources to Azure/ SQL Server/Data Factory to ensure optimal data flows / pipelines and quality of the ETL processes.
• Review products to match design specifications, with an eye to user experience issues such as fonts, colors, and screen size breakpoints with responsive design.
• Verify multiplatform capabilities, cross browser testing (Chrome, IE, Firefox, Edge, Safari), and mobile testing (iPad, iPhone, android phone, tablet) for build products.
• Ensure all testing is planned, implemented, and delivered in accordance with industry best practices, and to our quality standards, while meeting the tight deadlines.
• Fully own the assigned project’s testing steam – Perform requirement analysis and proactively find requirements gap, discover, and write test cases in Zephyr (Jira test management tool) / DevOps test automation, create, implement, and maintain regression test case document, sign off for release, do release smoke test.
• Identify application defects, seek resolution, process gaps, and make recommendations to improve the functionality and usability of the application.
• Call for the test case review meetings with the core team.
• Clearly communicate the testing timeline for each testing phase, and help team set realistic timeline for a release, so that testing effort is not overlooked or overly simplified.
Ensure all identified risks from testing are raised and mitigated appropriately.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Senior Manager Quality Assurance
Position directly supervises: Non-managerial position
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Internal: Software Development team, Project Management team, and other MU or project partners.
External: Technology partners or providers
Quality Assurance Analyst – Job Requirements
• 5+ years of Quality Assurance experience on applications, black box testing, functional, and system testing
• 1 year of automation experience
• Some Performance and Load Testing experience with open-source tools
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
• Solid ability to lead a project by him/herself from all quality assurance, and quality control aspects
• Experienced testing in low to no-code environments and processes such as mobile data collection and/or case management tools such as CommCare, Ona, Kobo or Microsoft PowerApps, PowerBI dashboards and Azure.
• In depth understanding and practical testing experience of T-SQL, Azure SQL Server, Data Factory, SSIS/other ETL tools, data modeling and data warehouse.
• Experience testing multilingual platforms along with multicurrency verification preferred
• Manual functional testing, system testing, along with some automation, and performance testing
• Have great collaboration with all teams involved in the project. Be able to self-unblock.
• Very detail oriented with excellent organization and prioritization skills
• Experience using Jira, Zephyr or DevOps for bug test management
• Experience with full software development process with Agile methodology
• Experience with any open-source performance/stress testing tool e.g., JMeter
• Possess excellent oral and written communication skills
• Cross-browser testing tool such as Browserstack knowledge is preferred
• Self-motivated and a problem solver
• Fast and independent learner
• Be able to work with distributed teams
• Intercultural competence
Preferred Additional Qualifications
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Information Systems.
• Due to the current Coronavirus pandemic, this role may initially be working remotely and providing remote support. As travel restrictions lift, it is encouraged that the role will transition to an office environment
• Some international travel as needed
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, Equality and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and implements policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation. IRC is also strongly committed to Diversity, Equality and Inclusion. Respecting diversity means recognizing and valuing the many ways in which people differ and are unique and creating a supportive, inclusive, and non-discriminatory environment in which everyone’s rights are upheld.