Building the tools for Africa's digital transformation.
About the job
Help serve Google’s worldwide user base of more than a billion people. The Product Data Scientist – Search Data Science & Engineering will provide quantitative support, market understanding and a strategic perspective to our partners throughout the organization. As a data-loving member of the team, you serve as an analytics expert for your partners, using numbers to help them make better decisions. You will weave stories with meaningful insight from data. You’ll make critical recommendations for your fellow Googlers in Engineering and Product Management. You relish tallying up the numbers one minute and communicating your findings to a team leader the next.
The goal of the Search Data Science Team is to drive Search product excellence and growth with data insights. They perform strategic analysis to help Search org make big investment decisions. They do a rigorous research on top-line and operational metrics for Search products to help them make data-driven decisions. They work closely with product teams end-to-end to help them build world-class products that users love.
In this unique role of Product Data Scientist – Search Data Science & Engineering, you will play a key part in Google’s Build for Africa initiative, where we aim to address the needs of search users across the African continent. We want to improve the search experience by delivering better results, more accurate information and ensuring that users can and easily meet their information needs and explore their curiosity. Ultimately becoming the go-to source of locally relevant and accurate information for users in this market. You will be working with a team that has a presence in countries including Japan, Israel, India, and Mountain View.
In Google Search, we’re reimagining what it means to search for information – anyway and anywhere. To do that, we need to solve complex engineering challenges and expand our infrastructure while maintaining a universally accessible and useful experience that people around the world rely on. In joining the Search team, you’ll have an opportunity to make an impact on billions of people globally.
- Work closely with General Manager (GM) and other cross-functional team members to identify opportunities and address users in the region.
- Provide quantitative support, market understanding and a strategic perspective to our partners throughout the organization.
- Work with large data sets and solve non-routine investigative issues.
- Make compelling business recommendations with effective presentations of findings at multiple levels of stakeholders.
- Bachelor’s degree in Statistics, Computer Science, Mathematics, or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience in analysis or operations management support, while presenting to executives (e.g., consulting, management reporting, Six Sigma certification).
- Master’s degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Data Science, Engineering, Physics, Economics, or a related quantitative field.
- Experience working with data visualization tools or libraries (e.g. Tableau) to deliver results and insights.
- Experience analyzing large quantities of data to derive insights and create new metrics with data extraction and manipulation skills (e.g. SQL).
- Knowledge of statistical tools/software packages (e.g., Python, R).
- Ability to solve complex issues of users and developers, complete projects separately and work with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
- Excellent problem-solving and critical-thinking skills.
Are you looking to sharpen your Software Development skills to stay relevant in the market? CLICK HERE to have a look at the top schools.
For all your IT certification needs, please, click here for information on how to get started