The world’s first AI reading coach that works with real books.
About the role
Our Platform Engineering team is looking for a Platform Engineer at Ello who will play a pivotal role in shaping the future of our systems and infrastructure. This is a unique opportunity to have a significant impact on our technical direction, taking ownership of infrastructure decisions and driving the successful migration of our projects to AWS. You’ll be part of a collaborative team of four based in Nairobi, working closely with other engineers, designers, and stakeholders to deliver high-quality, innovative solutions.
Here are some reasons to be a part of our team
- Join a small but rapidly growing team of A+ engineers in a well-funded company.
- As a Platform Engineer, you’ll be a driving force in shaping the future of our technical landscape. Your ideas and expertise will directly influence our systems and infrastructure decisions.
- Receive your compensation in U.S. dollars (USD).
The Platform Engineer role has the following responsibilities:
- Collaborate with the team to architect, develop, and maintain high-quality software solutions, contributing to the evolution of our V2 and V3 products.
- Contribute to the migration of our systems to AWS, leveraging your DevOps expertise to ensure smooth and efficient deployment and management processes.
- Manage, monitor and optimize AWS infrastructure and services for scalability, security, and performance’
- Write and maintain infrastructure as code (IaC) using tools like Terraform.
- Contribute to the design and development of V2 and V3 iterations of our products, ensuring they are scalable, robust, and user-friendly.
- Participate in code reviews, providing constructive feedback and promoting best practices to maintain code quality and consistency.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to gather requirements, identify opportunities, and propose innovative technical solutions.
- Troubleshoot and debug issues, implement fixes, and continuously improve the performance and reliability of our applications.
- Stay up-to-date with industry trends and emerging technologies, bringing fresh ideas and approaches to the team.
The Platform Engineer role has the following requirements:
- Hands-on experience with cloud platforms, particularly AWS, and a solid understanding of DevOps principles.
- Familiarity with containerization and orchestration tools (e.g., Docker, Kubernetes) for deployment and scaling.
- Familiarity with database technologies such as MySQL and MongoDB
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to troubleshoot complex technical issues.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills, with the ability to work effectively within a diverse team.
We look for candidates who
- Have something to teach us.
- Want to do work they are proud of to ship products they are proud of.
- Have an urge to make a real impact on child development at scale.
- Prefer open and direct communication grounded in empathy to beating around the bush.
- Want to build meaningful relationships at work
- Take the initiative and take full ownership of their work.
At Ello, our mission is to maximize the potential of all children. Our first product (Read with Ello) is an AI reading teacher that listens to a child read from real books. We’re now building on the success of Read with Ello and putting together the pieces of the world’s first complete AI teacher for children. We’re a highly technical team building delightful learner-centred experiences which leverage the massive recent advances in AI. Our products put children on a path of lifelong learning, creating the foundation for their future and ours. Together, we believe we can close literacy and educational gaps around the world. We are backed by world-class investors, just closed a Series A, and we’re ready to bring on new talent to help achieve our vision.
Are you looking to sharpen your Software Development skills to stay relevant in the market? CLICK HERE to have a look at the top schools.
For all your IT certification needs, please, click here for information on how to get started