Build software faster. The One DevOps Platform enables your entire organization to collaborate around your code.
Manager, Support Engineering (EMEA)
The Manager, Support Engineering is a grade 8.
What you can expect in a Manager, Support Engineering role at GitLab:
As a Support Engineering Manager, you will be:
- helping hire a team of Support Engineers who are focused on delivering world-class technical support.
- helping Support Engineers to develop and nurture their skills and experience.
- driving team members to be “managers of one”.
- building processes that enable team members to collaborate and execute.
- holding regular 1:1s with all members of your team.
- creating a sense of psychological safety on your team.
- engaging with our customers to triage their issues via tickets and video conferencing.
- creating, updating, or reviewing documentation changes based on customer interactions.
- fostering an environment for the engineers on your team to maintain good ticket performance and satisfaction.
- training Support Engineers to screen applicants and conduct technical interviews.
- improving the customer experience in measurable and repeatable ways.
- participating in escalation on-call rotation (limited to regional working hours during the week and weekend).
For more details, see our Support Manager Responsibilities page.
Projects you might work on:
Support Managers also work on things that will make your (and the lives of your coworkers) easier. Current and past Support team members have:
- Created a tool to quickly analyze strace output
- Built and maintained tooling to handle our call scheduling
- Scripted a solution to capture the state of a customer’s server for easier troubleshooting
- Added functionality to ChatOps to make it easier to identify user accounts on GitLab.com
- Written a Chrome Extension to route downloads from Zendesk tickets into organized folders
- … and more!
You should apply if:
- You have an affinity for (and experience with) providing customer support, and making customers happy.
- You have more than 2 years of experience leading Support Engineering teams.
- You’ve got advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.
- You’ve got a keen eye for forward-thinking solutions (Kubernetes, Containers, etc.).
- You enjoy solving many small problems per day.
- You’ve got 5+ years of support experience.
- Within the last 5 years, you have held a role at one company for at least 2 years.
- You understand DevOps processes and you appreciate the value technologies like Serverless and Kubernetes bring to the software deployment and development process.
- You’re able to communicate complex technical topics to customers and coworkers of varying technical skill levels.
- You’ve got extensive experience building and scaling teams.
- You demonstrate excellent spoken and written English.
- You’re experienced in creating and implementing new processes and procedures.
- You’re experienced in writing support content.
- You’ve got experience leading remote, distributed teams across geographies with a keen focus on employee development and the achievement of desired results.
- You’ve got extensive experience in leading teams to take ownership and work to manage the entire issue lifecycle, from customer to development team, to resolution.
- You’re able to perform complex Linux System Administration tasks.
- You’ve got experience with web application development using an MVC framework e.g. Rails (Ruby), Django (Python), Laravel (PHP).
- You’ve got experience with Git and CI/CD.
- Our values of collaboration, results, efficiency, diversity, iteration, and transparency resonate with you.
Looking to sharpen your Software Development skills to stay relevant in the market? CLICK HERE to have a look at the top schools.
For all your IT certification needs, please, click here for information on how to get started