Formerly MTN GlobalConnect, Bayobab is a next-generation services company connecting Africa with digital solutions.
About the job
The Data and Analytics manager will join a growing IT team and manage the processes for accurate data collection, processing, analysis and reporting. The individual is responsible for managing big data and analytics, data integration, business intelligence and data warehousing infrastructure within MTN GlobalConnect. The individual will ensure the delivery of actionable insights to the business teams that aid in strategic decision-making. This position requires building technical hands-on skills and will work closely with the Technology Leadership and the Business leaders, to understand short and long-term business goals and strategies, resulting in the formation of future roadmaps.
Key Performance Areas:
The Manager Data & Analytics will be accountable to achieve the following objectives:
- In collaboration with Group Technology oversee strategic planning and development of data warehouse solutions.
- Work closely with the business stakeholders from a strategic perspective to identify and maximize BI opportunities and improve business processes.
- Promote the strategic use of information and business intelligence.
- Drive a business intelligence roadmap; prioritize business insight requests to balance the tactical and strategic information needs.
- Review business analytic requirements from the BI, Wholesale Mobility and FibreCo business units through formal interviews or facilitated sessions and translate into technical designs for BI & MIS implementation.
- Analyse, Design & Develop BI applications & reporting solutions based on business requirements.
- Define and manage the structure, operations and relationships of the department.
- Manage and minimize IT & Cyber related risks by implementing and maintaining governance controls.
- Provide the BI departmental IT capabilities and services – ensuring quality, consistency of selection, design, architecture and reliability of systems and services.
- Manage 3rd party services, contracts and relationships, defining and managing Service Level Agreements.
- Manage the BI departmental budget, and IT investments, and continuously look at ways to improve cost-effectiveness and efficiency.
- Deliver effective communication and relevant reports to all stakeholders.
- Plan and develop IT competencies and build a high-performance team within the department.
- Stay abreast of the latest trends in Information Technology to ensure effective operations and strategies ensuring a continuous value-add partner to stakeholders & customers.
- Develop ETL/ELT pipelines to ingest and transform data from upstream databases and APIs into a data warehouse.
- Drive the automation of key measurement metrics and MIS reports.
- Develop complex macros, algorithms, and other automation processes to facilitate data mining and analysis.
- Responsible to implement MIS dashboard templates that translate raw data into insightful and actionable information to enable users to take actions more effectively.
- Contribute to business results by creating world-class metrics, analysis, visualizations, and data-driven storytelling.
- Establish and meet required SLAs and TAT for requirements.
- Mine data from database tables (Data mining and B.I Tools, Oracle/SQL, Data Warehouse).
- Develop BI content (reports, dashboards, scorecards, analytic solutions to provide data necessary to effectively make business decisions and measure goal attainment and overall performance.
- Develop and Manage models in the areas of machine learning and data sciences in building the various components of the semantics layer. Produce real-time AI/ML models that can be used by technology and business.
The Manager Data & Analytics role has the following requirements:
- Minimum 4-year Academic Degree (B Eng. / BSc Degree preferred)
- A Master’s degree is advantageous
- Relevant certification/accreditation/membership with the professional body as required for the role
- Fluent in English
- Minimum 5 years of Management Experience in the Data Platforms and Solutions space
- Telecommunications industry experience is advantageous.
- Deep experience in traditional data platform technologies, big new data technologies (Hadoop, Cloudera and related technologies), BI or Visualisation technologies and cloud technologies.
- Must have extensive experience in platform modernization and platform architecture.
- Proven track record of strategy implementation and platform management.
- Experience in working for a large organisation with diverse cultures and geographies advantageous
- Ability to effectively communicate with all levels of the organisation
- Leadership and organisational skills
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Good prioritisation skills and be flexible enough to adapt plans
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to solve problems using a creative and logical mindset
- Worked across diverse cultures and geographies (advantageous)
- Implementers, Decisive Problem Solvers, Best Practice Value Creators
- Culture and Change Champion, Guiding People Manager, Relationship Builder
- Results Achiever, Operationally Astute
- Detailed knowledge of the international telecommunication infrastructure industry regarding the latest industry trends and the competitive landscape within the MTN footprint
- Strong understanding of managed networks
- Strong analytical skills to be able to execute market analysis, competitor landscape reports and customer monitoring – Understanding the connectivity infrastructure wholesales landscape with a focus on emerging markets.
Supervisory / Leadership / Managerial Tasks:
- Recruit, develop and retain people with outstanding skills, qualifications and potential.
- Performance management and identification of training needs.
- Accountable for a customer-centric culture.
- Employee relations and collaborative teamwork.
- Coaching and guidance of subordinates.
- Build professionalism, loyalty and commitment to the organization.
- Communicate actively and effectively resolving any potential conflicts that may arise.
- Living the MTN Brand – changing and influencing employees’ behaviour.
- Clarify roles within the team to enhance collaboration and results.
- Reward practices are conducive to building individual and team confidence.
- Optimal human resource allocation/redeployment in line with strategic objectives.
- Manage conflict proactively and monitor disciplinary and grievance actions and trends.
- Team learning and knowledge sharing within the team; appropriate strategic timing for people up-skilling in line with newly developed technologies and strategic practices.
- Train, motivate & develop resources.
Are you looking to sharpen your Software Development skills to stay relevant in the market? CLICK HERE to have a look at the top schools.
For all your IT certification needs, please, click here for information on how to get started