Betika is Kenya's leading sports betting platform with operations in Kenya, DRC, Ethiopia, Ghana, Malawi, Mozambique, Nigeria, Tanzania and Zambia.
About the job
Are you ready to take the next step in your career?
Are you excited about technology and products in the Online Sports Betting, Casino and Virtuals industry? Do you have a passion for building world-class platforms to support the fast pace of the ever-changing world of tech? Do you have previous experience as a Lead Software Engineer?
At Betika we value our talented team members, we encourage curious minds, and we love to dabble in the art of building beautiful software.
If you feel this is for you, go ahead and apply.
Who we are, our brand, our ethos– We are the number 1 iGaming platform in Kenya and Ethiopia. We operate in 8 countries with over 20 million monthly site visits. We are not just a Sports Betting brand; we are a lifestyle brand that believes in responsible gaming practices.
Aspects of our business – At the core of our business is our proprietary iGaming Platform; Risk Management; Marketing; Customer Relationship Management; and data analytics.
We offer mobile solutions, SMS, USSD, Android, and iOS applications, as well as desktop and retail. These channels enable Betika to deliver the fastest and most competitive gaming products for our customers.
Why do we need you?
We would love to allow you to apply your passion for writing world-class software and tap into your analytical and leadership skills as you lead your team to construct high-performance platforms in a 24/7 environment.
As the Lead Software Engineer, your ‘daily’ will consist of collaborating with the technical leads and product owners to break down features into small deliverable tasks for your team to build. You are responsible for the well-being of your team, leading from the front by constructing SOLID code conforming to industry best practices; coaching & mentorship; and career progression.
Your passion and knowledge will inspire the teams as they achieve their goals.
To be successful, you should constantly expand your industry knowledge and apply foresight to identify problems and opportunities.
What you’ll do (but not limited to)
- Working close with Product Owners & Technical Leads to translate Technical Design Specifications to deliverable tasks.
- Define learning paths and identify training courses and skills gaps for the engineering team.
- Hands-on mentorship, adoption and alignment of the engineering team.
- Actively contribute to the code base.
- Own technical specifications, test plans and documentation.
- Track technical debt and identify opportunities to correct as part of the delivery life-cycle.
- Using your product experience, assist in the definition of minimum marketable features and minimum viable releases.
- Develop a deep understanding of the supported platforms, identify opportunities for improvement.
- Source opportunities for innovation (New technologies, processes, productivity tooling).
- Define engineering standards for building world-class platforms (Peer reviews, coding standards, CI/CD pipelines, security).
- Perform quality control checks.
- Perform technical spikes and experimentation.
- Define system SLAs, metrics and monitoring.
- Define platform direction, patterns and practices.
- Assist in the definition and conform to the software development process.
- Provide team visibility, rewards and recognition.
The role of Lead Software Engineer has the following requirements:
- 7+ years of software development experience, including at least 3 years of experience supervising staff.
- Deep hands-on understanding of Java, Golang or similar languages.
- Deep understanding of highly available platforms.
- Deep understanding of solutions design.
- Deep understanding of Cloud technologies.
- Deep understanding of relational and NoSQL databases.
- Solid understanding of event-driven architecture.
- Solid understanding of client-side technologies.
- Proven ability to lead test-driven development and maintenance.
- Outstanding communication, presentation and leadership skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Sharp analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Previous team lead experience.
- Proficiency with applicable work management technology and tools.
- Understanding of design quality standards.
- Strategic thinking.
- Change advocator.
- Risk taker.
- Good delegator.
- Active listener
- Constant learner
- Deep understanding and experience with Agile methodologies.
- Ability to work with cross-functional teams to deliver on a common goal.
- Interpersonal skills and developing relationships with team members.
- Knows how to define the technology roadmap.
- Overall understanding of technologies used in the product.
Are you looking to sharpen your Software Development skills to stay relevant in the market? CLICK HERE to have a look at the top schools.
For all your IT certification needs, please, click here for information on how to get started