Agtech company making complex farming feel simple by providing an online farm record keeping dashboard integrated with AI powered IoT devices.
Synnefa Green Limited is a smart farming solutions company that has developed proprietary hardware and software solutions for farmers in Africa. The team has recently expanded from pure-play Ag hardware (solar-powered greenhouses and irrigation systems) to a connected farming proposition that includes both off-grid IoT-enabled devices and a farm management dashboard.
Job Title: Head of Software Engineering
Reporting to: Chief Technology Officer
Primary Working relations: SaaS Platform Architecture and Software Teams
Duty Station: Nairobi, Remote
Purpose of the role
We are looking for a Head of Software Engineering to lead the development of scalable SaaS platforms. You’ll lead a cross-functional team that’s responsible for the full software development life cycle, from conception to deployment. As the Head of Software Engineering, you should be comfortable with defining a vision roadmap for Synnefa’s end-to-end SaaS platform. You’ll get an opportunity to build a high performing engineering team. Taking ownership and development responsibilities for both Synnefa’s frontend and backend codebase will be a pivotal component of your responsibilities. You will manage delivery of key projects on time and with quality in mind. You will also be expected to build out the DevSecOps pipeline and lead the infrastructure rollout as needed to support Synnefa’s growth ambitions.
Our product is built using AWS, AWS Elastic BeanStalk, AWS S3, Jinja2, Python, ReactJS, CSS. We use Slack, G Suite, Github, Github Actions, Terraform and Docker to collaborate and build together.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Defining the vision roadmap for all software solutions
- Hiring and mentoring software engineers
- Driving and rewarding desired behaviors within the engineering team
- Structuring the engineering team to drive performance
- Providing input on tools and technologies that drive Synnefa’s vision
- Formulating the end-to-end architecture strategy
- Ownership of the frontend and backend codebase
- Managing the delivery of key projects on time and with quality in mind
- Communicating effectively with internal and external stakeholders
- Building and maintaining relationships with external software development agencies
- Regularly engaging with the software development community
- Adhere to and drive modern software engineering practices through design reviews
Minimum Skills and Requirements
- +5 years of industry experience building SaaS platforms
- +3 years of industry experience with cloud-based, web and mobile app architecture
- Professional experience building frontend tech stacks using ReactJS, Angular, VueJS or Gatsby
- Experience with building DevSecOps pipelines and implementing code quality enhancing tools
- Proven experience building scalable backend tech stacks using NodeJS, Python, or .Net
- Ability to architect and build high-performance APIs that are Restful or GraphQL based
- Experience building dockerized/containerised software solutions
- Efficient at leading agile software development sprint cycles using scrum or kanban
- Ability to create scalable database schemas from scratch for SQL or NoSQL deployments
- Experience building integration layers that leverage MQTT to drive scalability
- Ability to in-built observability capabilities in SaaS platforms
- Ability to learn and adapt to new technologies at speed
- Degree in Computer Science, IT, Engineering, Statistics or relevant field
Perks you may enjoy at Synnefa
- Competitive remuneration package: We benchmark with relevant market data to ensure that we offer the most attractive suitable remuneration.
- Hybrid work environment: We work at home, remotely & from our offices at Bishop Magua Center, Nairobi, optimizing for collaboration while providing flexibility to team members.
- 21 days of PTO and cheat days: We offer flexibility to allow people to relax and recharge.
- Build your ideal work setup: We encourage autonomy and ownership of tasks and believe in making mistakes and learning from them.
- Health benefits: Synnefa offers a competitive medical insurance package to all employees.
- Lunch benefits: We offer lunch benefits for teams working at the office and remotely.
- Employee Share Option Plan – ESOP: We offer a share option plan that gives employees the opportunity to invest in the business and acquire a stake in the company through equity participation and potentially make impressive returns.
Planning on sharpening your Software Development skills to stay relevant in the market? CLICK HERE to have a look at the top schools.
For all your IT certification needs, please, click here for information on how to get started.