Connecting Africa's medical community
There is a growing deficit of over 2.4 million healthcare workers across Africa. Healthcare professionals have limited peer support networks and patient handover is inefficient. All of this culminates in thousands of avoidable patient deaths each year – Medixus exists to prevent this.
Operating at the forefront of patient care, Medixus’ software provides a one-stop shop for case aggregation, patient handover and case collaboration among healthcare professionals. We are putting the knowledge of all healthcare workers on the continent in the pocket of all healthcare workers on the continent, driving radical improvements in patient outcomes.
So far Medixus has partnered with a number of major hospital groups, built an engaged community of more than 2500 medical professionals on the platform and facilitated over 2000 patient handovers – and this is just the beginning.
This is an exciting opportunity for the Head of Software Engineering to lead the engineering efforts for Medixus as we move to bring development in house and be a core leader of the product & tech team. You will be leading on building a disruptive, impactful new product & team.
You will be a key senior hire and will have ownership of the technical process from planning, devops, implementation, testing and introduction of best practices across the board.
Your role will involve hands-on engineering leadership, developing the company’s strategy for implementing the most appropriate technologies and technical infrastructure. You will be working very closely with our CEO who has an extensive Product Management background.
You will help lead and oversee the work of a remote dev team and ensure we’re following best practice, as well as helping as an individual contributor.
Our current tech stack uses the following technologies: Angular Ionic 3; Python Flask API in the backend; Postgres database; Jenkins for deployment; Gitflow methodology.
The app is released for Android, iOS and the web
- Excellent communication skills, especially in remote environments
- You create and maintain easily accessible documentation for all your systems
- You can further refine our release and development strategy for the three different platforms
- Your coding style is clear and concise
- You know how to best organise your git branches (GitFlow), add clear commit messages & maintain your code with comments to help fellow developers in the team
- Problem-solving aptitude – you’re able to decide on short term solutions vs. long term strategic goals
- BSc/BA in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field is desirable but not mandatory
- Some experience working in a fast-paced startup environment is desirable but not mandatory
- Planning experience
- API integration experience
- Experience leading a team (of any size!) of developers
- Comfortable working with a remote team
- Multiple commercial project experience
- Experience with Dev Ops. (Gitflow, Docker, Pipelines, e.g. Jenkins)
- Experience with webhooks and cron jobs
- Server management experience
- Angular or React + Nativescript experience
- You will be familiar with Ionic/Angular or similar frameworks version upgrading and its quirks with different plugin and platform versions
- Good sass and css front end ability with an eye for design detail
- Experience in solving versioning conflict issues
- Experience with Postgres
- Python experience, ideally Flask and/or Django rest framework
- DevOps pipeline planning (Jenkins) familiarity is desirable, knowledge of various auto deployment systems, ideally set up from scratch. Especially experience in testing and releasing to Android and iOS app stores
- Knowledge of technological trends to build strategy
Head of Software Engineering – Nice to Haves:
- Experience with scaling
- You have hiring experience
- Big data experience
- You have worked on healthcare or financial service applications before
- Familiarity with healthcare platform protocols e.g. FIHR protocols
- Experience with the FHIR standard
- Open source platform familitary
Head of Software Engineering – Responsibilities:
- Leading the build of the new platform
- Manage legacy code during rebuild
- Rebuild front end app in collaboration with other developers
- Collaboration with our Strategy team
- Maintaining product documentation
- API integration research
- Manage devops and deployment workflows
Please include a link to your GitHub (or similar) profile and in your cover letter be sure to highlight similar projects you may have worked on.
Looking to sharpen your Software Programming skills to stay relevant in the market? CLICK HERE to have a look at the top schools.
For all your IT certification needs, please, click here for more information