Build software faster. The One DevOps Platform enables your entire organization to collaborate around your code.
The Fullstack Engineering Manager – Applied ML specializes in Engineering Management as a manager of people. Engineering Managers at GitLab see their team as their product. While they are technically credible and know the details of what engineers work on, their time is spent safeguarding their team’s health, hiring a world-class team, and putting them in the best position to succeed. They own the delivery of product commitments and are always looking to improve productivity. They must also coordinate across departments to accomplish collaborative goals.
What you’ll do in this role:
- Manage and grow a team of the backend, frontend, and machine learning engineers
- Collaborate with the Product Manager to help inform planning and author project plans for epics, and influence the overall direction of Applied ML
- Run agile project management processes. We work iteratively and release monthly.
- Provide guidance and coaching to team members on technical contributions, product architecture, and other areas.
- In addition to the Product Manager, work with the rest of the team (e.g. Engineers, Software Engineers in Test) to ensure the team direction is clear, and the team is delivering value aligned with business needs.
- Maintain empathy for the team by keeping awareness of engineering processes and practices. Examples may include:
- evaluating individual workflow during one on ones
- ensuring production readiness reviews are being conducted
- collaborating with internal stakeholders throughout the department, as the single point of contact for any internal Applied ML requests
- Actively seek and hire globally-distributed talent
- Contribute to the sense of psychological safety in your team
- Foster technical decision-making on the team, but make final decisions when necessary
- Draft quarterly OKRs and Engineering KPIs
What you’ll need to apply:
- Exquisite brokering skills: regularly achieve consensus amongst departments
- Demonstrated experience as a People Manager for backend teams with a servant leadership mindset
- A track record of supporting engineering teams in building scalable and impactful ML solutions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values
You’ll stand out as a Fullstack Engineering Manager – Applied ML if you bring:
- Experience with the GitLab product as a user or contributor
- Working knowledge of modern frontend frameworks such as React or Vue.js
- Product company or startup experience
- Computer Science education or equivalent experience
- Passionate about open source and developer tools
The Applied ML group is focused on how to extend GitLab functionality to provide additional value by leveraging ML/AI. This group will build on existing successful GitLab categories and features to make them smarter, easier to use, and more intelligent. You can find more information about our most recent release, Suggested Reviewers, in GitLab 15.4.
Looking to sharpen your Software Development skills to stay relevant in the market? CLICK HERE to have a look at the top schools.
For all your IT certification needs, please, click here for information on how to get started