Send money to Africa, Asia and the Americas with love
Your key area of focus
The Engineering Manager (EM) at Sendwave wear multiple hats. They have strong technical skills and are able to write, review and provide feedback on code. Beyond the craft, they’re able to deliver working software into production and assist their team members to do the same. You’ll need a lot of user empathy — every push impacts hundreds of thousands of customers and can influence billions in annual send volume. Successful EMs at Sendwave often start as senior individual contributors; if you join and there isn’t an immediate team for you to lead you’ll start out as an engineer working on a backlog until a new team is formed.
In the first few months, you’ll…
- Work with our Product, Growth and Bizdev teams to scope new markets and partners. You’ll review APIs and scale up our ability to launch multiple markets quickly.
- Work with our Foundation Engineering and broader Payments team — to ensure that you have the right tools and support to enable the Launch Team to fuel Sendwave’s growth.
- Mentor and coach the engineers on your team, to nuture their long-term growth.
- Work with the Payment team to identify and prioritize opportunities for code-level improvements. These will help us move faster, make code easier to maintain, and/or improve our operations.
- Share your technical experience with the team through collaborative growth.
What you bring to the table
- 1-4 years of experience leading a team of at least 3 high-performing individual contributors — ideally while at an organization undergoing rapid user growth, a faster pace of product development, and increasing technical complexity.
- 5+ years of professional software engineering experience.
- The ability to write code on a regular basis — because we have a bias toward smaller (4 + manager), focused teams with leads that are hands-on.
- Solid understanding of server tools and concepts (databases, performance testing in general but especially web). Familiarity with cloud infrastructure (e.g. GCP, Heroku, etc).
- Proven experience articulating a longer-term technical vision — and making tradeoffs on technical/architectural decisions vs delivering immediate user value.
- Ability to work closely with Product and reason about how technical decisions may impact the user
- A willingness to travel 4 weeks per year.
Bonus points if you:
- Have been a part of a rapidly growing engineering organization, and have experienced (and hopefully helped to solve!) the challenges that come with growth.
- Have experience building, working with, and supporting diverse teams.
- Have fintech experience, specifically in the new account space (i.e. dealing with risk and compliance issues when booking new accounts).
- Are a self-starter, take initiative, self-manage, and require little day-to-day direction to be successful.
- Take responsibility for the outcomes of your core duties.
- Are passionate about achieving Sendwave’s mission, and are excited at the prospect of lowering remittance costs for diaspora communities.
- Competitive compensation and Equity
- Our company is 100% remote and has been since we were founded. For this role, Sendwave will be able to hire from Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, Kenya, Poland, Senegal, UK, and US.(#LI-Remote)
- Major benefits:
- Subsidized health insurance and retirement contribution matching (both vary from country to country)
- 26 weeks of fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
And best of all:
- Our team of over 400 employees is fully distributed across the world. We are working from coffee shops, homes, and co-working spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world.
- We are proud parents, community organizers, farmers, band members, yoga teachers, YouTube influencers, former Olympians, and serial entrepreneurs.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Bengali, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili, Wolof, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Irish, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Maltese, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish and Swedish.
- We recently joined forces with WorldRemit, another remittance company. We’re excited about the ways we can collaborate and continue to provide the best service to our users.
Looking to sharpen your Software Engineering skills to stay relevant in the market? CLICK HERE to have a look at the top schools.
For all your IT certification needs, please, click here for more information