We’re building next-generation financial services technologies to empower emerging market entrepreneurs.
About this job
At JUMO, we’ve built a smart financial services platform to make finance accessible to everyone. Our Data Engineering team ensures that our intelligent banking platform is able to acquire data from millions of users across globally distributed sources, such as GSM. Beyond ingress, the data is processed and stored in the cloud to support event-driven analytics and machine-learning pipelines.
As a JUMO Data Engineer, you will design, build and maintain scalable data architectures. You will monitor their performance, perform root cause analysis and provide solutions to any issues that might arise. As the Data Engineer, you will work with large, complex data sets, which means experience working with Big Data is essential. On a typical day, we use Spark, Kafka, Python, SQL, Airflow and AWS technologies, such as Redshift. We work with Docker and Kubernetes for automating the deployment, scaling, and management of containerized applications.
- Be responsible for creating robust, mission-critical batch and streaming data processing capabilities
- Design, implement, and maintain the data pipelines that constitute JUMO’s data platform, enabling effective use of data across the organisation
- Provide feedback on team members’ output, encouraging skills development within the team
- Work closely with Portfolio Managers and Decision Scientists to understand the real-world problems we’re trying to solve
- Be supported by senior leaders as you drive your own development
You will need
The Data Engineer will need the following qualifications:
- BSc. in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or equivalent tertiary degree
- Real-world understanding & experience in data pipeline design and development, as well as data processing and storage (i.e. experience in designing systems to process and curate large data sets)
- Experience in streaming technologies preferred, specifically Spark and Kafka
- Experience with cloud technologies, AWS preferred
- Experience working with big-data technologies such as Apache Spark, Flink, Hadoop, Kafka or Kinesis, Cassandra, DynamoDB, InfluxDB, MongoDB, Presto, Beam
- Command of production rising and monitoring of data pipeline workflows, and working knowledge of the Data Product Lifecycle
- Experience in application design and development with at least one of the following languages: Python (preferred), Scala, Java
- RDBMS experience in any relevant technology such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, Redshift and SQL Server. This includes experience with relational database administration, technical architectures and infrastructure components
- Understanding of CI/CD practices
- Productive within a Linux command line environment
- Proven ability to contribute software as part of a team. We are looking for someone that can effectively communicate technical concepts, and apply critical thinking under pressure
Bonus if you have
- Experience working with messaging systems (RabbitMQ, SNS, Kafka)
- Experience working with data pipeline orchestration (Airflow, Nifi, Streamsets)
- Experience working with production BI environments and tools (Tableau, Superset, Looker)
We ask a lot of each other at JUMO, but we give a lot too.
You will love
- Collaborating with smart, engaging people in an inspiring work environment
- Working for Impact
- Growing and learning continuously, with loads of encouragement and support
- Boldly taking risks as we navigate new challenges
- Flexible work practices enabling your best delivery
- Being autonomous and empowered to lead
- A stack of leading-edge technologies
We operate a remote first working approach, where working remotely is our default way of working. Our environment is designed to foster innovation and enable collaboration. You have flexibility where to work from (between time zone UTC 0 and UTC +3), as long as you are set up to work remotely and have access to data with a strong and reliable connection as we value online Facetime for collaboration at JUMO.
Diversity and Inclusion
At JUMO, we believe that diversity strengthens our teams and we strive in our recruitment process to create an environment where people from every background can collaborate and prosper and be themselves.
Are you looking to sharpen your Software Development skills to stay relevant in the market? CLICK HERE to have a look at the top schools.
For all your IT certification needs, please, click here for information on how to get started