Technology solutions for development organizations. Builders of Ona Data, Canopy, and OpenSRP
We are looking for a Data Analyst to join our growing Analytics team, where we support our clients’ decision making by creating tools and data pipelines that simplify and augment their work. The selected candidate will join a highly motivated and technically savvy team who is responsible for the design, development, and implementation of data tools across Ona’s global project portfolio.
The Data Analyst is involved in every step of the analytics journey: building data collection forms, modeling data from various sources to make it ready for analysis, and creating visually appealing data visualization and reports. A strong willingness to learn is key, as our tooling ranges from code GUIs to mapping and business intelligence software. The ideal candidate should also combine technical prowess with good communication skills to interact effectively with both internal and client stakeholders.
In our global projects, we partner with organizations like the WHO, UNICEF, and FCDO and are looking for people who are truly passionate about the potential of technology to drive positive change.
This role will report to the Analytics Manager and will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Data visualization. Create data tools, dashboards, and management reports, using Ona’s supported data visualization and analysis tools (e.g. Akuko, Superset, QGIS).
- Analytics engineering. Write queries and data pipelines to extract and combine information across datasets using a variety of technologies and tools (e.g. SQL, DBT).
- Data collection design. Author XLSForms and/or RapidPro flows for client projects, collaborating with colleagues to minimize downstream data cleaning.
- Insights development. Provide clients with ad hoc analyses and improvement suggestions for metrics definition, data processing, and data quality.
- Data cleaning and quality assurance. Perform data cleaning and sanity checks, ensuring that data reported to clients is correct and meets specifications.
- Database management. Implement database management policies on behalf of clients, in collaboration with other teams.
- Project collaboration. Communicate project progress in a timely manner, escalating needs with Ona’s project team and senior management team whenever appropriate.
- Documentation. Develop documentation on solutions, project deliverables, code procedures, and processes for internal and client use.
- Training. Offer client training on Ona’s core products (e.g. XLSForms authoring, Ona Data Platform usage, Akuko dashboarding, RapidPro flow development).
- Product innovation. Provide regular input in the development of Ona’s proprietary analytics software, suggesting feature improvements based on client needs.
Data Analyst – Capabilities
- Passionate. Deep passion to improve lives around the world using technology.
- Curious. Interested in combining data-driven problem solving with an understanding of the relevant domains for our clients.
- Detail-oriented. Able to consistently deliver correct results, in line with company policies and expectations.
- Technically-savvy. Robust technical skills in data analysis and data visualization.
- Doer. Trustworthy in execution and capable of managing complex tasks independently.
- Open. Open to feedback and proactive in gaining skills and knowledge across new tools and technologies.
- Fun. A positive attitude and sense of humor will not hurt 🙂 .
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, e.g. Computer Science, Data Science, Business Intelligence, IT, Economics, Social Science or Engineering, etc.
- Experience developing data visualizations, dashboards, and reports using widely-adopted data analytics or business intelligence platforms (e.g. Superset, Tableau, PowerBI).
- Proficiency with SQL and SQL-inspired declarative query languages, ideally with experience working with large datasets
- Sharp analytical skills and problem-solving abilities, especially with data forecasting, cleansing and transformations.
- At least 1 year work experience in the data space, e.g. data analysis, consulting, BI, Analytics development, etc.
- Experience working with data collection software (e.g. Ona Data, Kobo, SurveyCTO).
- Demonstrated mapping and geospatial analysis skills (e.g. QGIS).
- Familiarity with database modeling and data warehousing principles.
- Comfort working with modern cloud database technologies (e.g. AWS, Azure) and with relational as well as non-relational data stores.
- Software development skills in Python or R.
- Knowledge of agile project management methodologies and of project management tools (e.g. Wrike, Atlassian, Avaza, GitHub).
Looking to sharpen your Data Analysis skills to stay relevant in the market? CLICK HERE to have a look at the top schools.
For all your IT certification needs, please, click here for information on how to get started.