Save the Children Kenya
A world in which every child attains the right to survival, protection, development & participation
Working with members of the global IT team, the Business Intelligence Developer will be responsible for building, implementing and supporting Business Intelligence (BI) solutions within the organization. This role will partner with business stakeholders in order to understand their analytic requirements and implement and maintain BI solutions to meet these needs, utilizing best practices. The role requires experience in adapting existing solutions as well as creating new solutions.
The Business Intelligence Developer will play a pivotal role in our data-driven decision-making process by designing, developing, and maintaining business intelligence solutions. You will work closely with cross-functional teams to gather requirements, analyze data, and create meaningful reports, dashboards and data visualizations to support strategic business initiatives.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Data Modeling and ETL: Develop, maintain and optimize data models and ETL (Extract, Transform and Load) processes to ensure data accuracy, consistency and availability for reporting and analysis globally.
- BI Tool Expertise: Utilize industry-leading Business Intelligence tools (e.g., Tableau, Power BI, QlikView, etc.) to create interactive and insightful dashboards, reports and data visualizations for global stakeholders
- Data Analysis: Collaborate with global business stakeholders to understand their data requirements and translate them into actionable insights through data analysis tools.
- Database Management: Manage and maintain global databases, including data warehousing, data cleansing and data quality assurance.
- Performance Optimization: Identify and resolve performance bottlenecks in the BI solutions, ensuring the efficient processing of data and quick response times.
- Documentation: Document all BI development processes, including data models, ETL workflows and report/dashboard specifications.
- Training and Support: Provide cross-training and support to end-users to ensure they can effectively utilize BI solutions across the globe and assist product owners in designing, agreeing, implementing and managing changes to the BI environment.
- Continuous Improvement: Stay updated with the latest BI technologies and best practices and implement them to enhance the company’s BI capabilities proactively source new and innovative solutions that provide clear business value and construct ‘proof of concepts’ to demonstrate the new solutions.
- Project Management: Proactively identify, manage and document any technical project risks/issues related to BI across the movement as per agreed prioritization and timeframes.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (SCI Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds team members and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, take responsibility for their own personal development and encourage their team to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future-orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity and sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates the highest levels of integrity
EXPERIENCE AND SKILL
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, Information Technology or a related field
- Minimum 5+ years of experience, with at least 3 years of proven experience as a Business Intelligence Developer, including experience with ETL processes and data modelling.
- Proven understanding of Data Modelling and Analytics
- Advanced knowledge and experience working with relational and NO SQL databases as well as data warehousing.
- Experience in working with Microsoft’s BI technology stack SSIS, SSRS, SSAS (tabular model), Power BI, Power Query and Excel.
- Experience with Microsoft Azure Analytics tools and technologies such as Azure Synapse Analytics, Azure Data Bricks, HD Insight, Azure Data Factory, Azure Machine learning, Azure Stream Analytics, Azure Data Lake, Azure Analysis Services, Event Hubs, Azure Data Explorer, Azure Data Share, Azure Time Series Insights.
- Good interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills with a proven ability to explain complex technical ideas and problems clearly to non-experts
- Self-motivated, enthusiastic, and strong problem-solving skills
- Cultural awareness and experience in delivering solutions globally working in an agile project delivery environment.
- Experience maintaining source control in Git or Azure DevOps
- Strong experience with various Software Development Life cycles (SDLC) methodologies: Agile or Standard waterfall initiatives
- Proven experience working with various Project Management practices and disciplines
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills to augment a close working relationship with cross-functional teams
- A history of designing and implementing reporting solutions that are both functional and engaging
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Proficiency in DAX, MDX, Python/Scala/Spark SQL
- Non-profit sector knowledge/experience
- Cosmos DB
- Machine Learning
The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
Health and Safety
The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Additional job responsibilities
The job duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the post holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience. Some degree of international travel may be required.
We strongly encourage candidates of all different backgrounds and identities to apply.
Are you looking to sharpen your Software Development skills to stay relevant in the market? CLICK HERE to have a look at the top schools.
For all your IT certification needs, please, click here for information on how to get started