OfferZen is a fast-growing developer job marketplace where 2000+ SA and EU companies hire from a community of 100 000+ software makers.
Our marketplace product squad is responsible for improving the experience and success rate for both candidates and companies in our marketplace, as well as enabling our operational teams to provide excellent service.
We are looking for two Backend Engineers (one Intermediate Engineer and one Senior Engineer) to join our marketplace product squad as part of our larger product group. Our product squads are cross-functional teams of talented engineers, product managers and designers working together to design and deliver impactful and quality software.
You will be a part of the Marketplace Product Squad which is responsible for improving the experience and success rate for all participants in our marketplace, as well as enabling our operational teams to provide excellent service. We’re big on developer productivity (hence React, GraphQL, Ruby on Rails), continuous improvement (we’re currently doing Kent C. Dodds’ epicreact.dev) and delivering value to customers (check out the feature we released last quarter: https://lnkd.in/gKYRruQ).
*This is a remote role based in either Nigeria, Kenya or South Africa.
Backend Engineer (Ruby on Rails) – What you’ll do:
- Design, test, and ship great backend code every week to build impactful new features for users and internal operational teams
- Influence, and at times lead, the design and architecture of backend features
- Upskill engineers with junior-level back-end experience through active mentoring, code reviews and internal backend forums
- Work with a wide range of systems, stakeholders, processes and technologies to solve engineering problems
- Uphold our engineering standards and processes
- Debug production issues across services, and help ensure a stable application for the marketplace
- Document feature designs and architectural decisions
- Contribute to the technical and product roadmap
Backend Engineer (Ruby on Rails) – You’ll be a great fit for this role if you:
- Minimum of 5 years experience in software development for our senior role and 3 years for our intermediate role
- Minimum of 3 years of experience working with Ruby on Rails in a production environment
- Excellent at solving problems
- Able to clearly articulate solutions for a technical and non-technical audience
- Good architectural design ability – understand patterns, algorithm complexity, responsibility separation, component-oriented design, and data modelling
- Experience writing tests to cover all permutations of added functionality
- Creating documentation for feature designs or architectural choices so that new engineers can quickly start contributing effectively
- Experience with databases
- Experience with non-relational databases (specifically MongoDB) is a bonus
- Room in your closet for numerous free t-shirts
Are you looking to sharpen your Software Development skills to stay relevant in the market? CLICK HERE to have a look at the top schools.
For all your IT certification needs, please, click here for information on how to get started