Technology solutions for development organizations. Builders of Ona Data, Canopy, and OpenSRP.
Who we are
The world’s leading humanitarian, development and global health actors rely on Ona to improve their impact and accountability. We build technology that affords new opportunities for organizations to be increasingly collaborative, data-driven, and accountable to the people they serve. Our dedicated tools and advisory services help address some of the world’s greatest challenges, including: maternal and child health, education, community resilience, environmental sustainability, access to infrastructure, and government accountability.
Our core software products include a mobile data collection tool called Ona Data, an enterprise analytics service called Canopy, a data visualization and storytelling platform Akuko, and a mobile health app called OpenSRP. We work with partners to bundle our products with other tools into full-fledged data solutions that improve clients’ effectiveness and their impact at scale.
We are looking for an Analytics Manager to expand our advisory team, where we support our clients in their data-driven decisions by creating tools and data pipelines that simplify and augment their work. The selected candidate will join a highly motivated and technically savvy team who is responsible for the design, implementation, and development of data analysis tools across Ona’s global project portfolio.
The Analytics Manager is responsible for the successful delivery of the analytics engagement, from design to implementation, and guides a team of analysts in the execution. The ideal candidate must have strong data analysis and data visualization expertise, a deep interest in global development issues, and great stakeholder management and communication skills.
We work globally on some of the world’s hardest problems partnering with organizations like the WHO, UNICEF, and FCDO and are looking for people who are truly passionate about the potential of technology to drive positive change.
This role will report to the Director of Analytics.
- Project management. Lead a small team in the day to day execution of a client project, with the support of Ona’s project sponsors and engineers.
- Dashboard/deliverable design. Develop tailor-made solutions using Ona’s products and supported tools, usually in the form of dashboards or data portals, combining technical analysis skills with critical thinking and understanding of the subject matter.
- Data architecture. Design the appropriate database system to address the project needs and combine the relevant data sources, building on Ona’s database best practices.
- Advanced data analysis. When required, perform research and analysis on large datasets, including data exploration, trending, modeling, etc.
- Stakeholder management. Provide trusted advice and high quality counsel to clients, managing internal and external actors to deliver the project outcomes.
- Project coordination. Manage resourcing needs, project timelines, budgets and other relevant activities, including documenting progress, plans and decisions.
- Product innovation. Provide regular input in the development of Ona’s proprietary analytics software by exposing client requirements and suggesting feature improvements to increase the value-add of our platforms.
- Mentoring. Professionally develop data analysts, both within and outside the project, to help them hone technical and critical thinking skills and progress in their careers.
Analytics Manager – Capabilities
- Deep passion to improve lives around the world using technology.
- Analytical mindset and intellectual curiosity, combining data-driven problem solving and intellectual curiosity to understand the subject matter for our clients.
- Strong communication skills with proven ability to interact with clients and present deliverables and findings.
- Entrepreneurial attitude capable of moving ahead without close supervision and taking ownership for project delivery.
- Open to feedback and proactive in gaining skills and knowledge across new tools, technologies, processes, and relevant sectoral publications.
- Ability to lead and motivate other staff in a dynamic, multicultural environment where change is the norm.
- Some positive attitude and sense of humor never hurts 🙂 .
Analytics Manager – Key Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, e.g. Computer Science, Data Science, Business Intelligence, IT, Economics, Social Science or Engineering, etc.
- At least 4 years work experience in consulting, BI/Analytics development, or other related analytical activities.
- Experience developing data visualizations, dashboards, and reports using widely-adopted data analytics or business intelligence platforms a plus (e.g. Superset, Tableau, PowerBI).
- Comfortable with SQL and SQL-inspired declarative query languages, ideally with experience working with large datasets (on relational as well as non-relational data stores).
- Mentoring and/or team management experience.
- Advanced degrees in a relevant field, e.g. Computer Science, Data Science, Business Intelligence, IT, Economics, Social Science or Engineering.
- Sharp analytical skills and problem-solving abilities especially with data forecasting, cleansing and transformations. Statistical modeling and/or machine learning experience in R or Python are preferred.
- Subject matter expertise in the development sector, including public health, disaster response and recovery, nutrition, and poverty alleviation.
- Advanced skills in mapping and geo-spatial analysis using GIS software or programming.
- Comfort working with modern cloud database technologies (e.g. AWS, Azure) and familiarity with database modeling and data warehousing principles.
- Knowledge and experience working with agile methodologies and/or with project management tools (e.g. Wrike, Atlassian, Avaza, GitHub etc.)
Looking to sharpen your Software Development skills to stay relevant in the market? CLICK HERE to have a look at the top schools.
For all your IT certification needs, please, click here for more information